Tuesday 7 June 2011

Smells like teen butane, or something

Breaking news. Or actually a week old, but new to me.  As followers of Romanian football will already be aware, league runners-up Timisoara lost its spot in the Romanian league for next year.  And that is relevant to Örebro exactly how? I will tell you how.

Timisoara had qualified for the non-champions branch of the Champions League qualifyers next season. They will now lose that spot to Vaslui. Vaslui in turn will hand over their Europa League play-off spot to Rapid Bucharest.  Rapid's spot in the third round will be taken by Dinamo Bucharest, and from nowhere Gaz Metan, 7th(!) in the Romanian league last season, will be a seeded team in the second round and hence a possible opponent of Örebro.  A very much more doable opponent than Dinamo, at least if we see to previous merits.

Which allows me to introduce a series of short team descripions of potential opponents that I will publish here, before the draw on 20 June.

I will follow UEFA's team ranking. As I am not a master of drama, this means the interest will gradually decline as I go on.  But on the other hand, it will get geekier and geekier.  And I assume anyone that continues reading about the 7th placed team in Romania is a geek.

So, watch this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment